City Court of Slidell’s Small Claims Court is an inexpensive and speedy way to resolve most civil disputes that do not exceed $5,000. It is an informal proceeding and parties are encouraged to represent themselves.
- All cases are heard by either a Judge or Arbitrator, who then makes a decision.
- The decision is final and binding on both parties. There is no right to a jury trial or an appeal in Small Claims cases.
- Formal Rules of procedure and evidence do not apply. Procedures in Small Claims cases are intended to be simple enough for a person to file all the necessary forms and represent himself/herself at an informal hearing.
- Small Claims Court is designed with procedures that assure a speedy and inexpensive resolution of a dispute between individuals who are not schooled in the law. Because the Formal Rules of procedure and evidence do not apply, depositions and other types of discovery, such as “interrogatories” or requests for documents, are NOT allowed.
The following types of cases are NOT handled in Small Claims Court
- summary proceedings
- executory proceedings
- class actions lawsuits
- restraining orders
- In order to have a case heard in the City Court of Slidell, the person you are suing must live or operate a business within our Court’s jurisdiction: Wards 8 and 9. These wards cover most of East St. Tammany Parish.
- You must file the properly submitted complaint form in person at the Courthouse
- When your complaint is filed, you must pay your filing fees, which are determined by the method in which you have the complaint served on the defendant(s). Please see below for filing fees. Note: Small Claims filing fees are Non-Refundable.
Filing fees are determined by the method in which the defendant(s) is served.
Standard service is by certified mail.
Or, you may choose an optional service method, which is determined based on the address of the person being served, as follows:
- One defendant: $69.00
- Two defendants: $124.00
- For each additional defendant, add: $55.00
Optional service for addresses within the 8th & 9th Wards of east St. Tammany Parish is done by the Slidell Marshal’s Office.
* A separate Money Order must be made payable to Slidell City Marshal for their services.
- One defendant: $84.00 *
- Two defendants: $154.00 *
- For each additional defendant, add: $70.00 *
Optional service for addresses outside the 8th & 9th Wards of east St. Tammany Parish is done by the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Department.
- One defendant: $114.00
- Two defendants: $214.00
- For each additional defendant, add: $100.00